Monday, October 24, 2005

On A Learning Curve!

One of the most impacting (and freeing) things I have learned lately is to admit I need help. I was thinking/praying about this and the Lord impressed me with these words,

"Don't get overwhelmed, get help."

It's amazing how long we will insist on "going it alone." I find it interesting that even the demons in the Bible know enough to go and get 7 that are more powerful than themselves to help out in a crunch. Not us! No, we wallow around in self-pity and depression until "the pain of same outweighs the pain of change."

Do you have a small group of people that you can go to when the bottom drops out? I lead a small group in our church. We are just learning how to do life together... not too deep or intense, just doing life. Today, I received a call from one of our group members. His mother has been diagnosed with cancer and will have surgery this afternoon. Instead of getting overwhelmed, he got help. I prayed with him over the phone and will be at the hospital later. That's doing life.

If the bottom drops out from under you, do you have a group around you? Who are you going to turn to? One powerful and life giving alternative is get in a small group. For me, it's critical. I'm getting help... are you?

Have an Amazing Day!
Jimmy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I like the blog idea. Its nice. Makes things feel more personal.

Jimmy said...

Thanks Sarah. It's my desire to communicate in an authentic and real way. Some think pastors are not "real" people... that's just not true. We hurt, bruise, and get disappointed just like anyone else. Thanks for the comment.