Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The "Y" Factor

I'm reading a wonderful book by Max Lucado titled "Cure for the Common Life." In fact I'm turning it into a 6 week series for MSCC. The book's premise is that God hard-wired and gifted you on purpose and for a purpose.

You were not an accident! God packed you with gifts, talents, abilities, strengths, sensitivities, and skills. Your life has meaning and significance because God formed and handcrafted you for a specific purpose. What a concept!

The Y Factor is that moment when you want to stop and scream (perhaps you have!) "I was born to do this!" I've had this moment a few times in my life. It's critical that you understand the significance of The Y Factor... "Y" stands for "Yes!"

I had a Y Factor moment last week when I was playing lead guitar for the Wed evening worship service. I had it when I was teaching on Sunday morning. I have it regularly when my family is all together in one place. I have it when I look at my 5 year old asleep, fully at peace with the world. I have it when I listen to my wife pray.

What were you doing the last time you had a Y Factor moment? Were you creating something, singing, playing an instrument, reading a report, typing a document, changing the spark plugs on your truck, entertaining guests, changing a diaper, teaching a bible study..? What is it that makes you want to scream, "I was born to do this!?" That's your Y Factor... God packed it in your bag... now, unpack it and use it for the glory of God!

Have a Y Factor Day!
Pastor J

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pastor Jimmy,
I'm more excited now than I have been in a long time! God a returned to me the joy of salvation, he has renewed steadfast spirit in me! For so long I've tried fit into the mold society has created for me! I figured thats just the way it is you do everything like everyone else! 'Go to school,get a job,get married at 27, spending the rest of your life longing for something greater but knowing you probably won't obtain it!' God has destroyed that grid I've been looking at life through! In fact He has shattered it! I know He cares about the details of my life! He has plans for my life that look like nobody elses'! I thank you for not giving up on me or anybody else! Sorry if we as a people have seemed hard-headed! I guess you can say we've been through the desert! BUT GOD... is doing a new work, a quick work! He is going to not only add to, but multiply the seed you have sown in this land!!It has been said"you are a strong diplomat, you are a pioneer!" That will continue to come to pass even more than you expected now! This is a time of multiplication! More armor bearers will soon rise up because God is going to bless you with more than you expected! Anyways, I know this new series will change hundreds of thousands of lives! Maybe it will start with our 300 at church, but it will be networked! Peoples lives will be changed forever! We are going to change the fact that most of the cures to cancer, ideas for new inventions, and quicker more effective systems end up in the grave yard! That maybe a fact but the truth is.. God has planted strong leaders like yourself and Pastor Rich, and so on, in the body to encourage people to strive for greatness!! Praise God facts and statistics are subject to change, and that truth isn't contingent on any one person or fact!! Ephesians 3:20

Jimmy said...

Wow! Whoever you are thanks for saying thanks! Even beyond that... thank you for the strong prophetic encouragement! You have "inspired courage" in me today.

You're right... God does care about and delight in the details of your life. He has and is carefully and thoughtfully crafted and shaping every element of your life. You are his masterpiece!

The "Y" Factor is a huge element in understanding what God has "packed" you with. Let me encourage you to spend time with Lucado's book as well as spend time dwelling on the various elements of the current series. It's helping and encouraging me as well!

Again... thanks for saying thanks! Have an amazing day!

Pastor J