Sunday, November 06, 2005

Handling the Hurdle of Distraction

Do you ever get distracted? Of course you do and so do I. Distraction causes you to lose focus and when you lose focus you lose momentum. It takes you off your rhythm and pace and causes you to lose your stride in this amazing race called life.

According to the AC Nielson Co., the average American watches 3 hrs and 46 minutes of TV everyday. That's more than 52 days of non-stop TV watching per year!

In a very real sense, distraction is our cultures number one past time. Entertainment is all about distraction. I call it "Vegging." You know turn on the TV, check out a video, surf the net, hit a golf ball, work out, leave town for a day or two. All of us have our way of escaping the here and now.

However, when it comes to running the race of life, distraction can be a very real weapon that the Enemy can use to knock you out of the race.

Here's a simple "true-ism:" Distraction produces In-action.

In the Bible, the writer of Philippians, Paul, puts it this way, "I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead." Phil 3:13 (NLT)

Paul gives us two practical ways to handle the hurdle of distraction: 1) Don't look back and 2) Look forward to what is ahead. Simple, practical, relevant.

What are the negative distractions that are causing you to lose your focus and momentum? Identify them and talk to God about them. That's called confession. Ask God to help you remove the distractions and look forward to what is ahead. "This too shall pass!" You will make it! You can do it with God's help!

As for me? I'm not looking back and I'm choosing to stay focused on what's in front of me.

Have an Amazing Day!
Jimmy
jimmy@morningstarabilene.com



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean about not looking back and focusing on what is to come, however, I am at a point where I constantly look to the future. I enjoy planning my next semester's classes. I dwell on where I am going to live after the lease on my current house is up. I anticipate the millions of possibilities that I will have when I graduate. I have a hard time living in the now, because of my excitment for things to come and thinking of the endless options for my life. And from time to time I realize that I am living too much in the future and am missing out on many opportunities that are right in front of me. Right here, right now. Wow. So thats my spill for tonight. Finding a balance between living for the moment and living for the future. (sorry my post was so long, I got on a roll...)

Jimmy said...

It's good to be focused on your future, that's a positive thing. However, there is a balance. You can't live in the past or the future... all you really have is this moment. I weighted the discussion toward the future because "most" people live in bondage to their past.

I woke up this morning and said, "Good morning Father." That's living in the present moment... that's giving value to the now. Thanks for the feedback... be encouraged today.

Have an Amazing Day,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

The simple phrase "giving value to the now" speaks volume to me. Well put, bravo. I am trying hard to find the balance b/w living for the future and living for right now.

Jimmy said...

Cristina, you're so welcome. The reason I could write with accuracy on "distraction" is because I am so easily distracted myself! Sometimes just recognizing the issue can play a role in overcoming that issue. Be encouraged, although you may stumble and fall you will rise again and walk with your head up. Be encouraged! You're a "Victor" not a "Victim!"
Jimmy