Sunday, August 27, 2006

When You Pray... Pray Like This!

Current mood: Expectant!
Category: Expectant! Religion and Philosophy

When You Pray... Pray Like This!

It's interesting to me that Jesus did not tell the disciples, "If you decide to pray..." No, he said, "When you pray..." Jesus just assumed that those who follow him would be people of prayer.

However, the more I speak to people about their prayer life, I'm finding that many followers of Jesus are not people of prayer. They listen to Christian music, cd's and tapes of great preachers, and they attend church for the most part. But when you go a little bit deeper I'm finding that many struggle with a quality prayer life.

I know this, because I too have struggled for years to maintain a consistent and vibrant prayer life... "Wait a minute... but you're a preacher!" Yep... I'm just being honest! I too have found it difficult to just sit down and purposefully, intentionally and systematically go through my prayer list. Did I say prayer list? I haven't had one for years!

Okay... either I'm a total loser as a Christian, much less a pastor, or like many of you, life has gotten busy and distracting. I'm choosing the later explanation (some may choose the former in my case!).

So, what to do... what to do? I read a quote that has helped me tremendously, "God's answer to prayer is always more prayer!" Well, I took that challenge and began to pray. I don't mean just a little bit more... I mean getting up earlier, keeping a journal, making a list, etc.

The result... God lit my fuse, fired me up, revived my spirit... I mean this thing is "off the chain!" I can't wait to get to my "secret place" and spend time filling my prayer bowls every morning (see Rev 5:8)!

Here's another good thing... it's contagious! Oh yeah... we tend to "leak" what we are full of (that can be good or bad, just depends on what you're full of!). I started preaching about prayer, teaching about prayer, talking about prayer, writing about prayer... and best of all I started really praying! The result? I've got this disease called "Prayer-itis!" I can't stop!

Okay, enough goofiness. Here's the real deal. Jesus did not offer prayer as an option. He knows that prayer is the "engine" that powers the Kingdom. Jesus not only assumed we would pray, he even told us how to pray!

In Matthew 6:5-15 he lays it out for his followers. Check out the New Living Translation... Jesus says in v5 "When you pray...", v6 "But when you pray...", v7 "When you pray..." and then in v9 "Pray like this..."

Read it for yourself... Jesus deals with motive, intimacy and authenticity throughout what has become known as the Lord's Prayer. Throughout the prayer he captures these crucial elements: Praise and adoration, Kingdom declaration, Provision, Repentance and forgiveness, Protection and Honor. Wow! This thing is loaded!

Here is a simple breakdown that has helped me through the years... even more lately! Spend time in each of these areas as a starting place.

P - Praise
R - Repentance
A - Ask (for others)
Y - Yourself


There it is... prayer made simple. The more you do it, the more you will want to do it! Try it! I triple-dog dare you! It's like eating the first Sour Cream and Onion Pringle off the top of the stack... you can't eat just one!

I hope this helps to encourage you to simply come before your heavenly Father who loves you more than you know... bottom line... He just wants to hear from you! Don't keep him waiting.

Expectant,
Pastor J

No comments: